Wednesday 21 March 2018


We   faced Attitudinal, Finance and Spiritual attacks before Light FM could be   established… Dr. Tobi Oyekanmi

                              By Ayo Ademokoya

(This is the concluding part of the exclusive interview by www.harohkah.blogspot.com.ng with the Founder and CEO of Light FM online radio and Ibadan based online radio station. Enjoy it as tune in to www.lightradio.com.ng)

After speaking about how Light FM online radio started which I believed you have read in the last edition of the exclusive interview with Pastor (Dr.) Paul Oluwatobi Oyekanmi , I  dabbled into other issues like the kind of challenges faced by him being the founder of the fast growing online radio…. Click www.harohkah.blogspot.com.ng to read full details of the exclusive interview

From my experience as an entrepreneur, I made sure I drilled him thoroughly to get facts from him and I am glad to affirm that the Light FM radio has the type of executive in Pastor Tobi who can steer the ship of the company to a glorious shore.

‘Power, I mean electricity has been the major problem confronting us in this business’ 
He responded swiftly.

‘Can you imagine that we spend as much as Twelve thousand naira fueling the generator? This is absurd for an establishment that is not generating advert at all because the gestation period between the acceptability and marketability of such an investment takes a little while
‘It’s frustrating that business in this country has to survive on its own manpower without  the basic amenity like constant power supply needed 24 hour by a budding broadcast station’.

‘The second major obstacle hindering our growth is funding. Light FM radio is a faith based project and I must confess it is not easy raising funds here and there to keep the project going. Do you know that as small as we are right now, we require at least about 12,000 naira per day as running cost for our day to day activities?

‘So far the project has gulped nothing less than Eight million naira in the last two years without generation a percentage of whatever we have invested. But I thank God for he his Jehovah Jireh, the one who provides. He has sustained us so far with the help of our well-wishers which I will not start, mentioning their names. These our friends are based in Europe and America though some are here in Nigeria that believes in the dream, and we appreciate them a lot.

‘Another problem that is most discouraging is attitudinal .Though we have overcome it to a certain level the attitude of people towards a new business or a budding idea. Here in this part of the globe, a concept is not that easy to develop basically because of the attitude of our people. One is bound to meet people confessing negativity. Our Problem at first was attitudinal!

 ‘It is disheartening to hear insinuations from close friends and allies that ‘It seems Pastor Tobi does not know what he is doing?. I overheard them saying it several times that they don’t know why we are wasting money on Elephant project like floating radio station and wondered who will listen to us when we had over  Seven terrestrial radio stations in Ibadan at that time. Right now these has grown to about twenty radio stations alone in Ibadan, not to talk about the entire Oyo state and its environs.

‘Assuming we are not determined , we would have long jettison the idea, but we thank God today that against all odds, despite stiff competition and limited funds, The Light FM is marching on and the gate of hell cannot stand against it’!

‘Hallelujah!!!’ , I soliloquised and looked straight into his eyes, 


‘Pastor Tobi kind of guessed what I wanted to ask…
…Ummmm…Well the last one is what you may not believe… he continued

‘And that is, I cuts in
Spiritual!! He said

‘As a spirit filled man, we are faced with spiritual attacks as well.
‘Can you imagine the situation where all of us, I mean the entire staff including my humble self, fell ill at a go?’.

‘I mean at the same time all of us became critically ill and none can even open the station!. That may sound normal but that was absurd! After much prayer we discover it’s just an attack!

‘Also, there was a particular day we found a bat already dead inside the studio. This is a studio that it’s difficult for air and sound to penetrate,

 ‘How come a bat, of all birds, flew inside the studio and died right there?
This is another mystery! Only God protected us.

‘We already know the task ahead and we were well prepared too. Remember ‘we are not fighting against flesh and blood but all the principalities and powers in high places’.

‘There are times we go off air for no tangible reason. After contacting our engineers both home abroad to diagnose whether we had technical hitches may it be software or hard ware , we all would discover later was that nothing is wrong with any of our equipment. These are strange occurrences that only prayers could solve and God has been faithful so far
What are your staff strength?  I asked

‘Right now we have about 16 people working directly and indirectly with us, about Eight out of the 16 are volunteers who are permanent with us, while the other eight are guests artistes. We also have an engineer here in Nigeria and another software expert based in South Africa.

One thing I must thank God is that all of them are very dedicated. You may be amazed that what we give them for now is just allowances, an impress that could just take care of their transport and feeding too. What we can afford till date is just stipends to keep us going. Though we make sure that we provide feeding while at work and they all understand the vision and where God is leading us to’.

‘Anyway since we now have so many options to listen to as far as radio stations are concerned in this environment, there is this major question agitating my mind? I’d like you to let our people know the kind of programmes people can listen to and enjoy on Light FM online radio station? I asked

‘Well…. he sighed

‘I’m sure you want me to say Evangelism ….
I smiled..

‘But … really , Light FM is a secular station that preaches morals. Unlike most radio stations who would do anything for commercial purposes. We are out to educate and entertain our people not only here in Nigeria but also in the Diaspora.

 ‘Ye are the light of the world’ the bible says, so whatever music we play, whatever programmes we package, has the consciousness of morality embedded into it. We have good music too which you can listen to.

‘For now, we are not into news because of the sensitivity and volatility of the polity. We have to be careful about the kind of news we are to disseminate at this point in time of our nascent democracy, which is why we are strictly a programme oriented station. Of course, we have sports programme too with capable hands here and there handling our various programmes.

‘And  ...what are these programmes… if I may ask?

Pastor Tobi readjusted himself on his seat opposite mine, I used that opportunity to also readjust by changing from the right hand to the left which that I had been using to record  for over an hour the interview started and I’m getting weary myself.

‘My Vision time’ after clearing his throat… 
This is one program I designed some time ago which deals with prophecies and future occurrences. Part of it also deals with interpretation of dreams and so on .Remember this was on Yinka Ayefele’s online radio before it became Fresh FM and the programme is still waxing stronger on Light FM online radio.
‘Ni faaji Lawa is a Yoruba musical program  and  we also have ‘So kutu wowo’ while ‘Aye Awa Obinrin and Olowo Sibi’ are specifically designed r the women.

‘These and many more are some of our programmes we have designed for the enjoyment of our listeners worldwide, they are interactive as listeners could call in on various platforms be it twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc we are still researching on more programme which are in the pipeline. That is our joker which I will not reveal for now.’

I tried to sum up the troubles of this young man and figure out what benefit he is deriving for going through all these trouble. I wonder if there is anything makes him happy... Since this is yet to be a money spinning project.

‘Yes, financially the business is not lucrative but we believe it will very soon. My
joy really lies in seeing that people are listening to us. I feel on top of the world whenever I get feedback from our listeners all over the world.

‘Right now we have listeners in the United Kingdom, Germany, Dublin and even in the United States of America. I also get feedback from African countries like the South Africa, Guinea, and Zimbabwe. 

I’m particularly excited that we are fulfilling our vision,

I then asked him what makes him sad.

‘I think I said it earlier that attitudes of some of our people could be discouraging. But I thank God for the kind of staff that I have, they are so encouraging and gives me the reason me to keep go on. Sometimes they use their personal means to keep the station running and that always ginger me up whenever I feel discouraged’ he reacted spontaneously.

‘I pierced straight into his gaze and wanted to know where he expect the radio station  to be in the next five years, Pastor Tobi was  modest and apparently was dodging my question



‘Well…I can’t say much right now because everything belongs to God and only Him can predict where and what we would be in the future…

..But is this how the station would continue? I boxed him into a corner

‘Nope..’ he smiled, ‘ my expectation is that God should grant us the licence to go terrestrial. As you can see, this is not our permanent site, we hope one day, we will move to our own building, we also need transmitters and other equipment

‘That cost a hell of money…’ I cut in

‘..Yea, at least we need about Eighty million naira to achieve all these and that is why I said, only God can do it and we believe he will do it.

Before I round up this interview, I would like you to advise people out there and to thank all those who has been supportive of your vision

‘First of all I would like to thank our mother, Reverend Dr Alice Olufunmilayo Oyekanmi for her support in various ramifications. I will also want to use this opportunity to thank all those who have been supporting us financially, only God will reward them. I need to thank them for believing in us and I assure you all that we will not let you down.

To Nigerians in general, money is not everything, it is disheartening these days to see that the fourth quarter of government, that is the media is heavily compromised. We need to stay focus on the ethics of the job. We are the watchdog of the society and we need to inform and educate our people, serve them the truth and nothing but the truth so that we can place this place, our world a better place to live in.

As I left his office that fateful Tuesday morning of 23rd of January, 2018, I knew very soon, if the lord tarries Light FM is the next big thing to rule our world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment